Thursday, September 3, 2015

Happy Accidents

So, here's the scenario. I decide to grab my Rolleiflex T, one of my long-term favorite cameras, and take it out for a drive into Washington, DC. It's loaded with film, a few exposures into the roll, but I can't remember which film. If I was thinking as I loaded it, and adjusted the indicator on the knob, it's Portra 160. But, the question is, was I thinking?
 
What to do? Well, I decided to take it into a dark room, open the back, take out both spools, wind it by hand back onto the supply spool, and see what I have. Yup, I was thinking; it's Portra 160. No problem. Now, I simply reloaded the spools as normal and went about my business. Except one thing - I needed to advance past the shots I'd already made. Didn't do it.
 
While the Rolleiflex T is designed to protect against multiple exposures, my little diversion very effectively caused them. I didn't even think of it until I saw the processed negatives.
 
In this case, I think it turned four rather pedestrian shots into maybe something a little more interesting. Keep in mind, I had no idea that I was creating double exposures.
 
 
Happy Accidents, by Reed A. George
Rolleiflex T, Kodak Porta 160
 
What's amazing and cool to me is the fact that in both of these examples, the little girl superimposed to the upper left seems to be pointing at the person rowing on the river. I think that's really cool. Wish I could have planned it that way!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment