Thursday, August 6, 2015

lions, tigers, and... BEARS! Oh, My.

Okay, no lions or tigers, but on the drive in to my local kayaking spot here in Northern Virginia this weekend, I did see foxes (4), deer (dozens), and a black bear!
 
Black Bear (Ursus americanus) in Suburbia, by Reed A. George
Nikon D810, Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S VR Lens
iso 3200, f4, 1/125 sec.
 
Keep in mind, this is in Northern Virginia, where the townhouses and strip malls are rapidly gaining on the trees in number. It was a pleasant surprise to see this beautiful animal here. Also a little troubling. I'm concerned for his (her?) future.
 
It was just after 6:00 AM, and the light was low there in the early morning shade. I didn't have time to make adjustments, other than to crank the iso up as far as I felt comfortable with. Luckily, that got me to a shutter speed where one or two exposures came out sharp, even though I was handholding the big 200-400mm lens, zoomed to 400mm.
 
The approximate focus distance is 29.9'. That bear could cover that distance in less than one second. Thankfully, he didn't.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment