Thursday, April 16, 2015

Polaroid/Fujifilm FP100C Instant Negatives from the Mamiya Universal Press Camera

I'm still having fun with my Mamiya Universal Press (MUP) camera. Today, I used it to shoot some portraits of my daughter on her birthday using Fujifilm FP100C instant film. Note that pack film is larger than the 6x9 image that the MUP lenses are designed for, hence the vignetting in the corners.
Scanned Instant Print, 14th Birthday, by Reed A. George
MUP, Fujifilm FP100C Film, f5.6, 1/125 sec.
 
 
I was so pleased with some of the images that I decided to figure out how to recover the negatives from the film backing, which you usually throw away.
 
(Click Here) to see a video from the Film Photography Podcast describing how to recover a negative from Fujifilm FP100C instant pack film. Beware that the process uses bleach. Wear gloves and keep a fan on while you work.
 
It was actually pretty easy to do, and the results are quite impressive. Here's a scan of the same negative that was used to make the print above:
 
Scanned Instant Negative, 14th Birthday, by Reed A. George
MUP, Fujifilm FP100C Film, f5.6, 1/125 sec.
 
I think I could have done a better job scanning this negative. The highlights are too high, and the colors are washed out compared to the print.
 
Here is a more impressive comparison, showing the scanned print (left) and negative (right) at 100% magnification.
 
100% Crops (Print on Left, Negative on Right)
 
As you can see, the negative has a lot more detail and sharpness, and grain. Pretty interesting. I could make a 5x7 print from the negative just fine.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment