Monday, April 27, 2015

Live Oak Tree - Lousiana Plantation - From Raw Image to Interpretation

I just returned yesterday from the LHSA (International Leica Society) Spring Shoot in New Orleans, Louisiana.
 
One of our (brilliant) activities was a visit to Belle Haven Plantation, which has been closed to the public for many years. We were extremely lucky to get access. The enormous live oak trees on the property were so beautiful. Here's a raw image that I took of one of them.
 
Live Oak, Starting Image, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summicron 35mm f2 Lens
iso 400, f5.6, 1/60 sec.
 
I walked out into a huge puddle of standing water to get this shot. I exposed to keep the highlights from blowing out, knowing that I could recover detail from the shadows with the M9 file. Right out of the camera, it looks underexposed.
 
I decided to do a quick edit on the image in Snapseed, on my iPad. Here's the result.
 
Live Oak, Interpretation, by Reed A. George
 
I'm sure that I can make a nice straight image from this file, but I kind of like this manipulated version. I purposefully added the vignetting around the edges, simply because I like the look.
 
Maybe I'll post the same image processed in Lightroom with much less manipulation. It will be interesting to see which version I like best.
 
If you're interested in the LHSA, check us out by (Clicking Here).
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment