Friday, September 12, 2014

Time to Make My Portfolios

Meditative Photography, by Reed A. George
 
If you're a regular DMC-365 reader, you may know that I've been accepted into a Magnum workshop with David Alan Harvey this September. The workshop is already having a positive effect on my work, even though it won't start for another week. In short, I've been instructed to put together a portfolio of my work in preparation for the workshop.
 
I've known that it's time to update my portfolios, as well as my online presence at my website creativeobjective.com for quite some time. Now I have a deadline, at least for my portfolios.
 
Of course, I started by reading up a little to get some tips on making a powerful portfolio.
 
(Click Here) to read an article on PopPhoto on the subject.
 
In this article, Brian Dilg of the New York Film Academy's photography school offers a lot of insight. Here are the most important tips from my perspective:
 
  1. Don't include multiple images that are too similar or obviously taken in the same session. It can make it look like you're indecisive or incapable of editing your work.
  2. Stick to either landscape or portrait orientation within a series of images. This is a tough one for me.
  3. Don't pad your portfolio with less than the best images, ever.
  4. Every image should evoke a "Wow" from viewers, without the need for explanation.
  5. Your portfolio should focus on a subject; that should be the subject you'd love to be paid to photograph.
  6. Your goal is not to show competency as a photographer; it's to show creativity as an artist.
  7. Use mini-sequences within your portfolio. A simple three image sequence should follow this outline: create an expectation (1st image), establish a pattern (2nd), and provide a surprise or thrill (3rd).
  8. In most cases, a real print still rules. However, in a pinch, an electronic portfolio can be acceptable.
So, it looks like I have my work cut out for me.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment