Saturday, September 20, 2014

More Street Portraits With the Mamiya Universal Press (MUP)

Yesterday I wrote about how using the MUP rarely goes unnoticed by the people I'm photographing. Here are a few more examples of street portraits, these all taken on a morning walk in Georgetown, Washington, DC.
 
Morning Smoke, by Reed A. George
Mamiya Universal Press Camera, Mamiya Sekor 100mm f3.5 Lens
Kodak TMax 400 Film
 
This gentleman was enjoying a morning cigaretter, out in front of the tobacconist shop. I felt that the combination of elements - him smoking, the cigar store Indian, and the sign went together very well.
 
Waiter, by Reed A. George
Mamiya Universal Press Camera, Mamiya Sekor 100mm f3.5 Lens
Kodak TMax 400 Film
 
And this young waiter was more confused than concerned when I asked if I could shoot his picture. He didn't understand why I'd want to do that. It's tough to explain, I'll admit. I love the contrast in this image, and how the doorframe provides a nice dark background for his face.
 
Watering, by Reed A. George
Mamiya Universal Press Camera, Mamiya Sekor 100mm f3.5 Lens
Kodak TMax 400 Film
 
And this young lady was quite comfortable with me photographing her with probably the biggest camera she's ever seen. One thing I believe is that the MUP immediately identifies you as a camera enthusiast (who else would carry such gear around?). Because of that, and because you can't even try to hide it, people seem to worry less about you sneaking pictures of them for some other (nefarious) purpose.
 
A different style of street photography for sure, but I am enjoying exploring it.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment