Saturday, June 21, 2014

Waiters at Cafe Du Monde, New Orleans

I've already written some about Cafe Du Monde, home of great coffee and chicory in New Orleans. Every time I think of it, I can taste that great coffee, not to mention the devilishly unhealthy yet tasty beignets.
 
(Click Here) to go to the Cafe Du Monde website. If you like coffee, do not miss the chance to go here for breakfast. You can go anytime you like, as they're open 24/7.
Morning Routine, New Orleans, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summilux 50mm f1.4 Lens
iso 200, f2.8, 1/90 sec.
 
Over the four days that I was in New Orleans, I made a series of three images of the people who work at the Cafe. The first shows how the place looks at sunrise, before most French Quarter inhabitants open their eyes (or soon after they've gone to bed?). It seems the morning crew is mainly made up of Asian women.
 
Morning Crew, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summilux 50mm f1.4 Lens
iso 400, f4.8, 1/60 sec.
 
I like the lines in this composition. I think the out of focus chairs in the foreground help to bring you into the image, to see the ladies at the table as the focal point of the composition. I know some people don't like out of focus foreground elements; I happen to think they can be a powerful tool.
 
The next two were shot later in the day, when the Cafe is full of customers.
 
Interaction, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
iso 400, f2.2, 1/250 sec.
 
In the shot above, I like the interaction between the waiter and the blond lady with her back to us. That imaginary line between his eyes and hers is as distinct as if it actually existed, at least in my mind, as I look at this.
 
Now here's my favorite of the series, and one of my favorite shots from the whole trip.
 
Break Time, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
iso 400, f4, 1/200 sec.
 
I made this shot pretty much from the hip as I walked by. The tiny, silent Lumix LX7 was completely non-threatening. One fraction of a second, and it was over.
 
As usual, I found the LX7 to be a wonderful travel camera, and also as usual, was interested to find that several of my favorite shots were made with it. I can't say enough about how great that little camera is. That's probably why I wrote an ebook about how I use mine (see link below to get your copy for only $2.99).
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment