Thursday, June 5, 2014

"Engineer" (Low-Fi Large Format) Prints from Photojojo

I have a couple of images that I want to print very large. I posted one of them yesterday, which I shot at Audubon Park in New Orleans. I have a very large square frame that I rescued from the trash can, waiting for that shot. Another is a pinhole image that I recently made, which I have not yet shared. It's a much less sharp (obviously, having come from a pinhole camera), more interpretive image that I want to print as large as possible to see if the effect scales.
 
Large prints are very expensive to make. At least photographic quality prints. This morning, I found a post about "Engineer" prints from Photojojo.
 
Image Source: http://photojojo.com/engineerprints/img/tutorial_photos/Engineer-Prints-457_Full1600new.jpg
 
These are apparently made on printers designed for architectural drawings, and on rather lightweight paper. They are 3' x 4' in size, and only in black and white. The description includes this statement about what to expect:
 

"Streaked, striated and wacky black and gray tones combine to create a super unique look that’s no ordinary photo print."

 
So, don't expect a perfect print. However, at $25, and with free shipping, it may just be worth a try with my pinhole image. That shot is made on 4x5 film, so I can make a very large scan of it to send for printing. Yes, I think I'll give it a go. I'll let you know how it turns out.
 
(Click Here) to read more about Engineer Prints from Photojojo.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment