Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I Love Meeting Interesting People When I Travel

This is Doc. I met him on my recent trip to New Mexico.
 
Doc, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Series II Lens at 33mm
iso 200, f5.4, 1/200 sec.
 
Doc had just gotten out of the hospital and ventured into town looking for work. He loves living in New Mexico, and it shows.
 
Doc's Hands, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Series II Lens at 29mm
iso 200, f5.4, 1/320 sec.
 
As you can see, I was using my Lumix DMC-GX7 on this trip. With the Series II kit zoom mounted, I think of it as a reasonable stand-in for the Leica X-Vario. I find the lens specifications to be extremely similar. While the GX7 has the disadvantage of a smaller sensor, it has the major advantage of interchangeable lenses, making it a much more flexible system camera. I'm quite impressed with the performance of the Series II kit lens.
 
One of my goals on this trip was to bond with the GX7, which I've had for a while now, and used very little. Did I meet that goal? Well, to some extent, yes. I now better respect the imaging capability of the GX7, which is really quite tremendous. I also reminded myself just how compact and light the Micro 4/3 kits can be. I carried two bodies (GX7, GX1), several lenses: a Bower fisheye 7.5mm f3.5, Lumix 20mm f1.7, Lumix 14mm f2.5, Olympus 75mm f1.8, 14-42mm Series II kit lens, a Pentax 55mm f1.8 lens and adapter (just for fun), and a small flash, all in a single messenger bag. It was light and easy to carry.
 
That said, the form factor of the GX7 is just not ideal for me. Can I live with it? Yes, but I do inadvertently hit buttons sometimes. I find the GX1 fits my hand better. Maybe one of the SLR-shaped Lumix cameras, perhaps the DMC-G6, would suit me better. But, the performance in such a small package in the GX series cameras is truly impressive to me.
 
More results to come from the GX7 and GX1 on this trip.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment