Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dreaming in Monochrom(e) - Single Shot I Like

Here's a shot I made of my kid, using the Leica M4-2, Kodak TMax 400 film, and the awesome Zeiss 50mm f1.5 C-Sonnar:
 
I have learned some things from my "Dreaming in Monochrom(e)" project. I started the project to investigate how much I'd enjoy having a modern digital monochrome rangefinder camera, the Leica Monochrom.
 
One thing I learned is that I can do a lot with black and white only. That said, I'm not sure I want my camera to limit me to monochrome only.
 
Using the M4-2 for live music shots has actually changed the way I shot concerts, whether with film or digital. Shooting in low light with TMax 400 pushed two stops and with Ilford Delta 3200, I re-learned at least one style I like for my music photography - high contrast and with grain. So, I am processing some of my digital concert images to emulate that look. An unexpected lesson.
 
As with most of my projects, the answers I find are not absolute. But, they do add to my overall knowledge and enjoyment of photography.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment