Friday, October 4, 2013

Whole Lotta Leica Lens for October - 50mm Summicron f2, Version III

 
My Summicron 50mm f2, Version 3
 
Sometimes I talk about what would be the last camera or lens I'd ever give up. This is only a useful train of thought to a short extent, because I never plan to do that. However, if I did pick a single lens for my Leica, it would be this one, the 50mm Summicron f2.
 
Mine was built in 1970, and is referred to as a Type 3 lens. It was the first Summicron 50 version (after the collapsible, then rigid, then dual range, each with 7 elements) to be made with six elements. This configuration change reportedly gives up some resolution in favor of higher contrast. Subsequent Summicron 50s used the 6 element configuration as well. Mine has 10 aperture blades, where later versions have 8. Ten should give better "bokeh," or out of focus areas in the image.
 
(Click Here) to see my collapsible Summicron. See my Whole Lotta Leica page (tab above) to see further posts with results.
 
While I thoroughly enjoy the collapsible, it does have a lower contrast, vintage look to the images it produces.
 
The Type 3 is an incredible lens. When it doubt, take the Summicron out.
 
We'll see what it can do on the M9 this month.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment