Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Street Photography as Time Travel (Kenneth Reitz on Leica Camera Blog)

 
At the Seafood Market, NYC, 2010, by Reed A. George
Leica M8, Rokkor 40mm f2 Lens
iso 320, f4.8, 1/125 sec
 
A local (to me) photographer, Kenneth Reitz, was recently interviewed for the Leica Camera Blog. A software developer, Kenneth lives and works in Winchester, Virginia. He even mentioned the famous(?) Apple Blossom Festival held there every year. In addition to proximity, several things Reitz said gave me the feeling that we have a lot in common.
 
Like me, Reitz came back to photography after college. He has this to say about the role of photography in his life:
 
"...it makes me happy and keeps me sane."
Exactly, Kenneth. I couldn't have said it any better.
 
Reitz sees street photography as a form of time travel. The shot above takes me back to the moment, three years ago, when I shot the picture. I'm sure it will do the same 20 years from now, if I'm lucky enough to be around still.
 
Also like me, Kenneth has an interest in pieces of Leica history. He has recently purchased a 1954 M3 (which must be a double-stroke, like mine, based on the dates). When asked about shooting film, Reitz comments that everything he's ever created exists only in an electronic realm. Film breaks that pattern.
 
Here's where Reitz and I differ - he shoots only a single focal length - 35mm. Shooting a 35mm f2 Summicron aspheric on his Monochrom, and a 1979 model 35mm f2 Summicron on his M3, he comments:
 
"I plan to shoot with only my 35mm Summicron for the rest of my life."
 
Personally, I will shoot with mine, amongst many others, for the rest of my life. Committing to a single lens for a month (e.g. for my Whole Lotta Leica series) is challenge enough.
 
Kenneth even mentions meditation in passing. This is something I've become more interested in of late. Seems like I should contact Kenneth to see if we can have coffee together sometime.
 
(Click Here) to read the interview on the Leica Camera Blog.
 
(Click Here) to visit Reitz's website.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment