Saturday, September 7, 2013

DMC-LX7 Landscape in Two Versions - Which Do You Prefer?

Here's a shot I took in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii:
Lahaina Seawall's End, by Reed A. George
Panasonic DMC-LX7
 
I used Snapseed on the iPad to crop and straighten it. The square format worked much better than the original rectangular composition. I like the shot, but don't love it. The fence in the shadows is a major drawback in my opinion.
 
As I sometimes do, I took this image quite a bit further with some of Snapseed's effects. Here's the result:
 
Same Shot, Manipulated
 
Personally, I think the modified version has more feel to it. The fence is still there, but doesn't bother me nearly as much. I hate to admit that I enjoy manipulating images, as I consider myself a "straight" photographer. I also find it ironic to add imperfections to a perfectly good digital image. But, I do like the outcome.
 
Opinions?
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

2 comments:

  1. George, in all sincerity I would say "Neither of the two"... I mean, the original one is a worthy starting point, have you tried with Snapseed to add a little more Atmosphere then playing with Contrast/Saturation/Lightness? The second one seems just a smartphone shot with a slapped-on vintage effect, and doesn't do justice to the composition...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Andrea. I appreciate your thoughts. Just to be clear, do you think that the composition is worth pursuing at all, or not? "Neither of the two" says no, but your final sentence seems to say yes. The first version is essentially right out of the camera.

    As always, I appreciate your opinion and critique.

    Reed

    ReplyDelete