Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Report On the New Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 On Luminous Landscape

The New Panasonic DMC-GX7
Image Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GX7SBODY
 
I've been watching for some reports on the new Lumix GX7 Micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic. I only care about reports from people who've actually used the camera, rather than simply reviewed the specifications. I found a very nice, concise report from Michael Reichmann on Luminous Landscape, a site that I respect highly.
 
(Click Here) to read Mr. Reichmann's full report on Luminous Landscape.
 
Here are some of the high points of the report.
 
Pluses:
  • Camera size - unlike the flagship Lumix DMC-GH3, the GX7 is small. I believe that's one of the most important aspects of the Micro 4/3 format - small cameras and lenses.
  • Image quality - at least matching the DMC-GH3 and Olympus OMD, according to the report
  • In-body stabilization - this is important for those of us who like to use old "legacy" lenses on Micro 4/3 cameras. Olympus has had this for a long time, but the GX7 is the first Lumix to have the stabilization built into the body, rather than the lenses.
  • Electronic and mechanical shutters - the electronic shutter reduces wear on the mechanical one, and allows one to shoot completely silently. I need to read up on this - I'm not sure what the downside is. I'm sure there is one, or they would have done away with the mechanical shutter altogether.

Minuses / Bugs:
  • Image stabilization (in the body) doesn't work in video mode, or with lenses that have IS built-in, even if the lens IS is turned off. Maybe this can be fixed in firmware?
  • Auto ISO doesn't work in manual exposure mode
While I have been shooting some Lumix cameras (mainly the LX7 and TS5), I have really been neglecting my Micro 4/3 gear this year, in favor of shooting my Leica M9, and doing my ongoing series of Skeletons From The Closet, where I shoot a different old film camera each month. I'm thinking about what next year will look like here on DMC-365, and may decide to bring Micro 4/3 back in a bigger way. Those gorgeous lenses are waiting to be used.
 
The truth is, I love shooting many different types of camera. There's simply not enough time to shoot them all. Stay tuned, I'll be sure to not let it get stale around here.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment