Thursday, August 15, 2013

That One Camera - Well, Maybe Not Just One

I read a post by Graham Welland on the getdpi forum, taking on the question of what is your "desert island" camera - that one camera or system you'd keep if you got rid of all others. Graham prefers the Xpan II or Fuji GX617 (a marvelous medium format panoramic camera).
 
(Click Here) to read the post and responses.
 
At least one person answers as I would, with a list of cameras. I know this doesn't meet the goal, but I can answer this question in so many ways.
 
If I really wanted to produce the very best images that I'm capable of, I would keep my Nikon D700, lenses, and flash. Hands down. I've never used a more capable camera system.
 
 
Nikon D700
 
But, part of my enjoyment of photography comes from the equipment itself. The Nikon is like a high end Toyota - extremely capable, but not too exciting. For pure camera enjoyment, I would have to pick a Leica. Probably an M (M9 or M3, most likely), but it would be hard keeping one of these in hand while letting go of my IIIC, a wartime example that just works so very well.
 
Leica M3
 
 
In truth, I don't want to say goodbye to any of my cameras. For example, as I've said in my Skeletons From The Closet series, the Konica Auto S1.6, a relatively inexpensive 35mm rangefinder, is a unique and surprisingly fun and functional camera.
 
Konica Auto S1.6
 
Good thing today's not the day I have to decide.
 
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment