Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Results From August's Agfa Record III (Skeletons From The Closet) and a New Critique Group, PhotoWorks!

I got invited to a great photo group, known as PhotoWorks. They meet monthly at the Glen Echo Park, just outside Washington, DC.
 
(Click Here) to learn more about this very welcoming group. In addition to critiques (one of which I attended), they offer gallery space, an incredible darkroom facility, and more.
 
I decided to bring along a set of five prints, three from a recent roll of film shot in my SFTC camera for August, the Agfa Record III 6x9 folding medium format camera. The two square format images are from my Minolta Autocord, May's SFTC camera. (Click Here) to read about the Autocord.
 
These were shot at a recent world war II reenactment event.
 
All of my images were well-received, and I had to push a little to get some critical feedback. I'll mention it under each shot.
 
While everyone liked this shot, the light is a little flat. The out of focus people in the background are somewhat distracting.
 
These guys may be too happy to be real soldiers.
 
There was a suggestion to crop this picture, leaving only the guys on the right (in bright light in). This was instructive to me, because the facial expression on the guy furthest left is the important part to me. Unfortunately, he's not in great light. What I see as most important really isn't emphasized in the shot. It was also mentioned that this image doesn't fit with the others.
 
I had to admit that I cropped out an air conditioner unit on the right of this image.
 
This is Mike. I emailed him this shot, and he really enjoyed it, saying he's always disliked pictures of himself. This one changed his mind. This shot was very well-received. The framed picture in the back is Mike's wife back home in the states (reenactor in character).
 
Here are a couple of shots from the critique session, just to give you a feel for the setting. These were shot on my Leica M9 with Voigtlander 28mm f1.9 lens.
 
 
This is a very experienced group, and I stand to learn a lot from them. I will certainly be back.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment