Friday, August 9, 2013

August's Skeletons From The Closet Camera - The Agfa Record III 6X9 Folder

My camera for this month is a real prize. My Mom found it in an antique store. Here it is:
 
Agfa Record III 6X9 Camera with Solinar 105mm f4.5 Lens
 
This camera is really nice. Made from 1952-1955, the Record III has an uncoupled rangefinder, and importantly, an accessory shoe. This is important to me because I like to use my Voigtlander VC Meter II, which mounts in the shoe. The Agfa Record III was available with an Apotar or Solinar lens; mine has the higher end Solinar. It has a maximum shutter speed of 1/500 second, relatively fast for this type of camera.
 
(Click Here) to read more about the Record III.
 
The uncoupled rangefinder allows you to use a split image in the finder to judge distance, which you read off of the dial on the top of the camera, and then make the same setting on the focus ring of the lens.
 
When I received the camera, the lens looked pristine, but the shutter was sticky, and the rangefinder was completely stuck. I shipped it off to Jurgen Kreckel (Certo6) for repair. Jurgen very quickly gave it a complete service, including a brand new bellows. He does excellent work, and specializes in folding cameras.
 
(Click Here) to go to Jurgen's website.
 
I've shot a couple of test rolls already. Be ready to be impressed by this camera in the coming days.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment