Friday, July 26, 2013

Leica at the Sunday Afternoon Jam Session - Including Whole Lotta Leica Lens for July - Summitar 5cm f2 Collapsible

I went to a jam session at Jammin' Java, a great music venue and coffee house here in Vienna, Virginia.
 
(Click Here) to check out Jammin' Java.
Margot MacDonald, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM
iso 800, f2, 1/125 sec.
 
I took along my WLL lens for this month, the Summitar 50mm f2 collapsible. Here's a shot from that lens.
 
 
Jam Session, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summitar 5cm f2 Collapsible LTM Lens (Coated)
iso 640, f2, 1/160 sec.
 
It was pretty dark in there, with bright afternoon light coming from the front windows, but very little additional light inside. It made for some dramatic lighting for those standing in that window light, just plain darkness for the others.
 
I was glad that I had thrown my Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM lens in my bag on the way out. I used it a lot more than the Summitar. Here are a couple of examples.
 
 
Nina, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM
iso 40, f1.4, 1/90 sec.

 
Margot MacDonald and Tony Moreno, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM
iso 1250, f2, 1/90 sec.
 
 
Bass, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM
iso 800, f1,7, 1/125 sec.

 
Margot MacDonald, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM
iso 800, f1.4, 1/125 sec.
I thoroughly enjoyed the session, and met a few new people.
 
For more images from the session, (Click Here).
 
I have always really liked my Summitar. However, the Canon f1.4 really came through for me. I think the Summitar is a street photography lens, not so much a low light, wide open shooter. I have shot it in dark spaces a couple of times recently, and am not really that happy with it wide open. At f5.6 or smaller, it excels. That wasn't going to happen at the jam session.
 
Guess I've got to get the Summitar out on the street this month!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment