Monday, July 8, 2013

June Results - Whole Lotta Leica - Carl Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5

In the month of June, I shot my Zeiss Sonnar C 50mm f1.5 lens on the Leica M9.
 
(Click Here) to read my post about the lens.
 
In June, I took a great workshop through the Leica Akademie, called "The Truth About Photos." This was a full weekend workshop, with most of Saturday dedicated to shooting in Washington, DC. I used only the Sonnar the whole weekend. I'll be posting a full write-up of the workshop soon, which will have a lot more images from the Sonnar / M9 combination. Stay tuned for that.
 
In the meantime, here are some other images I took with the Sonnar 50mm on the M9 in June.
 
My Favorite Shot From June, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 640, f2.8 1/125 sec
 
The Sonnar renders colors very nicely. The image above is very high contrast, but I'm pleased with the light tonality on the subject's face. It was a tough shot that I think really came out well.
 
 
Leica X-Vario Convert?, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 400, f2.4 1/125 sec

 
Barnack!, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 400, f4 1/350 sec

 
Dramatic Light, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 320, f2.8 1/180 sec
 
Dinner Discussion, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 320, f2 1/180 sec
 
Sharing Earphones, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 320, f16 1/350 sec

 
These ladies were sharing a set of earphones, laughing, and singing at the top of their lungs while walking down the street. Love it.
 
ELAS?, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 640, f1.5 1/60 sec

 
This shot was made wide open with the Sonnar. I love the rendering, and the OOF areas (bokeh).
 
 
Recruiting, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 160, f5.7 1/350 sec

Another high contrast scene. There's plenty of detail in the shadows to pull them up, but this shows what it really looked like.


Sweep, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 200, f13 1/125 sec
 
Forest of Feet, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 200, f1.5 1/250 sec
 
Another shot showing how the Sonnar performs wide open.
 
I thoroughly enjoyed shooting with the Sonnar for the month. It is a special lens, and really helps to give a certain feeling to the images, especially wide open. Mine (which I bought used) is starting to feel a little friction in the focusing ring, which I gather is not uncommon with these lenses. I think I'll send it off to Zeiss for service.
 
The lens works very well with the Leica M9, in my opinion. I don't have a 50mm Summilux (Leica's f1.4 lens), and would really like to spend some time with one. Until I hit that lottery, the Sonnar is doing a fine job in my opinion. I also want to compare the results with my older Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM lens in a future Whole Lotta Leica month.
 
Stay tuned for more images shot with the Sonnar this month in my upcoming post about the Leica Akademie workshop.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment