Monday, October 8, 2012

When to Use Micro 4/3 Versus Leica?

As you may have noticed, I have recently been shooting with a Leica M9. It is new to me, and I'm genuinely loving it. However, you probably also know my attraction to Panasonic Lumix equipment. I'm doing a lot of thinking about how and when to use each kit.
By Neil Buchan-Grant, Olympus OM-D, Pana-Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4
Image Source: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P8060330-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
 
I read a piece on Steve Huff's site by Neil Buchan-Grant about his thoughts on using the new Olympus OM-D and M9. His conclusion is that he uses the Micro 4/3 kit (OM-D and typically the Pana-Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4) about 95% of the time, and the M9 about 5%. But, those numbers don't tell the whole story, or maybe they do. The Leica is not a numbers camera. It is a user's camera.
 
(Click Here) to read Neil's piece on Steve Huff Photo.
 
Neil reports that he has sometimes wondered why he carries the M9 on his travels, when the OM-D ends up being used most of the time. He then concludes that if you have the time, the M9 can really make special images. I believe that to be true.
 
I fully expect the M9 to become my favorite camera for slow, thoughtful photography (it's nearly there now). However, I will still rely on the Lumix gear for my travels. I cannot complain at all about what the G3 and great Panasonic glass have to offer, especially in such a compact package. And, as new announcements come from Panasonic, it only gets better.
 
Neil also mentions using Silver Efex Pro2 for his black and white conversions. I must give that software a try. I have sort of mastered conversion in Lightroom, but would like to try some other approaches.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment