Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Nik Software Bought By Google - Good or Bad?


 
Image Source: http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpro/usa/index.php
 
The Online Photographer reports that Google has purchased Nik Software, makers of photo editing software.
 
(Click Here) to read the post and responses.
 
Personally, I use Nik's HDR Efex Pro, and find it very nice to work with. I am interested in trying Silver Efex (which is a monochrome conversion tool, to turn color images to black and white in a controlled way). I have also played with the app Snapseed, which is also a Nik product. It's actually very cool.
 
When I saw the news, my first thought was that this could be good for the company. Google's developmental and financial resources could ensure stability and really push the tools ahead. Most commenters disagree, and see this as bad news.
 
I will admit - I have no data on how products fare after companies are acquired by Google. Some commenters think that Google will focus solely on Snapseed, and kill the rest. That would be a shame. I kind of doubt that.
 
Thoughts? Predictions?
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Reed,

    Just downloaded the trial for Snapseed. Seems like a great program. Thanks for mentioning it. Gonna play around with it for a while and likely buy it since it's only $20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim,

    Glad you're having fun with Snapseed. I agree, it's pretty amazing.

    Reed

    ReplyDelete