Saturday, October 6, 2012

Luminous Landscape Publishes Final Report on Photokina 2012

 
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Image Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY
 
Luminous Landscape has published a nice report on many incredible new cameras and lenses introduced at this year's Photokina show in Germany.
 
(Click Here) to read the full report on Luminous Landscape
 
Rather than attempt to paraphrase the report, I refer you to it for your reading pleasure.
 
What strikes me? Well, of course, I'm tuned in to Leica and Panasonic.
 
Leica has announced the new Leica M, the first CMOS sensor-based digital rangefinder in the M line, and the M-E, which is a slightly stripped-down M9, priced significantly lower, but still >$5,000.
 
Panasonic brought out the long-awaited 35-100mm f2.8 X-Series zoom. This is sure to be a big seller. I recently reminded myself that I am a prime shooter by ordering the Lumix 12-35mm f2.8. Certainly a very nice lens, mine went back. In its place came a gorgeous Olympus 75mm f1.8, which I have yet to report on.
 
More interesting to me is the Lumix DMC-GH3. The GH3 is the largest Micro 4/3 body to date. While I really like the small size of the DMC-G3 that I use, I think a little more space will be welcome. However, if it gets as big as my Nikon D700 or thereabouts, I'm going to question why I'm shooting Micro 4/3s. Really though, the smaller size and weight of the lenses still answers that question successfully.
 
The GH3 has a new LiveMOS sensor that is reportedly better at high iso, and has better dynamic range than previous sensors. The body is weather sealed, and has five custom function buttons. The external buttons are very useful on the G3, even though it's limited to two - five would be nice. The GH3 shoot 6 frames per second. It also incorporates wifi capability, but that is yet to be supported by software that Panasonic is developing. I like the idea of triggering the shutter via wifi, and automatically uploading by same. This would make my iPad a nice remote controller and image reviewer.
 
Of course, the GH3 is targeted at video shooters as well, just as the GH1 and GH2 did. I'm not personally interested in video so much, but the ability to record high fidelity audio (including a plug in for external microphones) is attractive, especially for recording the music events that I regularly attend.
 
There are really some great offerings by other companies, perhaps most notably Sony, Fujifilm, and Nikon. So, check out Luminous Landscape's report to see all the news.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment