Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Shot That I Happen To Like - Portrait Without Catch-Lighted Eyes

 
Dwayne Brooke, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Olympus 75mm f1.8 Lens
iso 3200, f1.8, 1/60 sec
 
I shot an amazing musical performance of the "Greg Ruby Quartet" in Strasburg, Virginia, on October 13. This group of musicians (Greg Ruby, Dwayne Brooke, Nate Leath, Donovan Stokes, and occasional accompanist Jared Pool) is just first rate. I'll be posting a full report sometime soon.
 
But that's not the point. The point is the image above. Shot from quite close up with the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens, which is an amazingly good lens, this is anything but your conventional shot of a performer. Tightly cropped, with Dwayne's face anchoring one corner, the neck of his guitar and the shadow underneath providing a major dark space and shape, you can even really see Dwayne's eyes. Even so, this picture feels like Dwayne to me. Sublimely accomplished at the guitar, creative as can be.
 
In addition to cropping this tightly (maybe it could even use a little more cropping in the upper right corner?) and converting to black and white, I added some grain effect, which makes the noise of the small Lumix sensor at iso3200 look more like film.
 
I like where my photography is taking me, style-wise.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment