Friday, August 17, 2012

DMC-G5 Is Now Available in the USA


 
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Image Source: shop.panasonic.com
 
I see that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 is now available in the USA.
 
(Click Here) to read about the G5 at dpreview.com
 
(Click Here) to buy it at Kenmore Camera.
 
So where am I on this camera? Well, I'm not sure yet. It is the obvious upgrade to the DMC-G3, which is my standard kit. Is the upgrade worthwhile?
 
The G5 brings increased maximum iso setting (moving up from 6400 to 12800, like the GX1). However, what's not yet clear is whether the sensor is really up to it. I am looking forward to seeing how much better the new 16Mpixel G5 sensor is than the 15.8 Mpixel G3 at high iso.
 
Continuous shooting is increased to 6 frames per second (fps), above 4fps on the G3.
 
Two things that do matter to me are a better grip than the G3, and longer battery life. However, this means a different battery size. Therefore, keeping one G3 as a backup to the G5 is not a great plan; I would need to carry two different chargers when I travel.
 
Things I personally care less about include a higher resolution LCD display, more video options, and digital filters.
 
I think I'm going to wait and see if the rumored DMC-GH3 gets announced in September as expected.
 
If I have to go to a new battery anyway, I may want the really high quality video and audio features of the GH3 (including external stereo microphone jack). That could come to good use in my music project.
 
So, if you want that G5 right away - it's at Kenmore! Get it while it's in stock. I'll wait a while.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment