Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Oh, Man, I Can't Wait For That Olympus 75mm f1.8 to Arrive!

 
Image Source: http://www.mu-43.com/f38/olympus-75mm-f1-8-first-thoughts-29556/
 
Member 938mm on mu-43.com has posted their initial thoughts and some results, shooting the new Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens for Micro 4/3 on the new Olympus OM-D.
 
(Click Here) to read the original post on mu-43.com.
 
938mm seems quite pleased with the handling of the lens, and the results speak for themselves.
 
Mine is on order from Amazon, but is not yet shipping in the US.
 
938mm mentions that one challenge with such a fast lens is that to use a wide aperture in bright sunlight, you may need to use a neutral density (ND) filter. This is probably something I will want to do. The filter diameter is 58mm, so I'll have to add another filter to my kit.
 
On the subject of NDs, many people are now purchasing extremely expensive variable ND filters. These allow you to adjust the density and resulting effect of the filter across a wide range of exposures with a twist of the wrist. So far, I have decided to go the less expensive route, sticking with a 3-stop filter for my Lumix lenses. In my opinion, that has not been a difficult compromise. I find that if I need an ND, 3-stops is usually sufficient.
 
Some photographers have complained that 75mm (equivalent to 150mm field of view on full frame) is too long for portraits. I wholeheartedly disagree, especially when you consider that you have to go a little longer on the Micro 4/3 sensor to achieve shallow depth of field. I have always leaned telephoto, so 75mm is going to work great for me.
 
Looking forward to sharing some results with this lens on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, just as soon as it arrives!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment