Sunday, May 6, 2012

Free! My First Installment of an ebook on How to Set Up Your DMC-G3!

Image Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-G3KK
 
Ok, folks, for those of you who are Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 users, I've embarked on a project to document how I set mine up, and share it with all of you.
 
There is a dizzying array of menus and settings on the G3. I worked through all of them, at least to some extent, and documented not only HOW I set them, but WHY. Now I don't expect you to agree with all of my settings, but at least you'll know what you're disagreeing with, if you decide on a different setting.
 
I have completed the first chapter, which I share here with you now.
 
(Click Here) to download the first installment of my G3 Settings Manual in Adobe pdf format.
 
The second chapter, much more extensive, outlining my settings for the Priority, Shutter, and Aperture Priority and Manual modes, is nearly finished. It will be distributed in the same way.
 
All I ask in return is that you buy your Amazon items by clicking through from my site. That really hasn't paid off yet; I think I'm up to about $15 revenue, total, ever. Of course, if you'd like to contribute directly to this blog, rather than buying things from Amazon (on which I make a very small percentage commission), you can always send me Paypal at rgeorge911@hotmail.com.
 
But, I'm really not in this for the money. It would be great to bring in enough to pay my annual flickr and smugmug bills...
 
I sure hope you find this manual useful. I actually learned some things in the process of writing it.
 
UPDATE 5/13/2012: Chapter Two is now available as well! (Click Here) to get it.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

 

4 comments:

  1. hard work Reed, keep it up... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Dave! Hope it is helpful.

    Reed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting this together. I find it very helpful to periodically slog through all of my settings and tweak them, and your thoughtful consideration of them helps to consider the options.

    I have a suggestion for setting up the Quick Menus: Remove the Sensitivity, White Balance, and Drive Mode buttons in all Quick Menus, as these are redundant with the 4-way controller buttons. This gives you 3 more QM slots to use without having to add the 3rd QM page. (I've added the Stabilizer button to switch when doing panning shots).

    Also, there's much info online about AdobeRGB vs. SRGB; most of what I've read has convinced me that unless you are a pro using a professional printer, which is the only way to take advantage of AdobeRGB, SRGB is the better option, as you risk dulling your images down.

    Lastly, while the AF Assist light may be annoying to others in some situations, it sure helps to provide some illumination when it's too dark for the AF to have enough contrast to work.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael, I really like having my 4-way controller set up for direct focus area setting. That's why I have the Qmenu as I do. I surely understand your point about AF assist - as I said, I'm just sharing my preferences.

    Glad to hear it's useful to you!

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete