Saturday, March 24, 2012

Film Shots - Washington DC's Seafood Docks, Rolleiflex T

A couple of weeks ago, my friend and fellow blogger Aboud Dweck and I got together to talk a little shop, shoot some pictures, and eat a lot of food.
 
(Click Here) to see Aboud's post on the subject.
 
Well, I decided to shoot something different that day, and selected my 1955 (I think I remember that right) Rolleiflex T twin lens reflex, with a beautiful Tessar f3.5 lens. I shot Provia 120 slide film. A couple of weeks later, my developed film is back from Dwayne's, and looks great.
 
If you need excellent film processing, (Click Here) to go to Dwayne's.
 
Anyway, Aboud and I went to the dockside seafood market in DC. Here's what I shot:
 
DC Seafood, by Reed A. George

Rainbow, by Reed A. George

Crab Buckets, by Reed A. George

Crabby?, by Reed A. George
Steamy, by Reed A. George
Family, by Reed A. George
 
I had a great time, first meeting with Aboud, who's always entertaining, and second with shooting a beautiful old piece of photographic history. It's quite an amount of effort to meter manually, focus manually, mail off the film, pay, and wait for the results. But, I must say, I love the feeling of ripping that envelope open and seeing what's inside.
 
While shooting the Rolleiflex has little to do with Lumix, I hope that it will once again instill that slowed-down, careful approach to all of my photography. I do plan to take a little of that approach to my modern Panasonic kit, especially on my upcoming trip to Japan. Let's think "fewer shots, more meaning." That will be my theme.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Reed, great post. Love these images taken with the Rollei. I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many megapixels is that? LOL. Great series of shots, digital or film it doesn't matter. And I agree, sometimes we are carried away by the fast-paced lifestyle, it's good thing to slow down a bit, photographically speaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great idea for all serious photographers. Shooting film means no instant gratification, a strong consideration of costs per frame and a certain degree of suspense waiting for the film to come back from the lab.
    It is possible to emulate this in digital photography to a degree. Shoot sparingly, with contemplation and turn off the LCD. Live with your decisions until you load the images into your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bunch of megapixels, Dave. Haha!

    Thanks for everyone's input. I will do this more often.

    I like Aboud's suggestion a lot, but it takes self-restraint. Maybe I'll try it.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How easy is it to use a rolleiflex? I'm debating about getting one, but I have never shot film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Raiza,

    That's not a simple question. If you're comfortable with estimating exposure, or using a handheld meter, it's not difficult at all. You'll need to learn how to load the film, but one time and you'll have it down. Focusing is easy and fun.

    I say go for it!

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete