Friday, February 24, 2012

Some Interesting Quotes About Cameras

I decided to do something a little different today.  I did a search for different people's perspectives about cameras.  Here's what I found interesting.
"I don’t think about what camera I should use that much. I just pick up the one that looks nicest on the day."
-- William Eggleston
William Eggleston
Image Source: http://www.egglestontrust.com/images/portfolios/los_alamos_s.jpg
I am very different from Mr. Eggleston, in this and probably many respects.  I agonize over what camera to use.  
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras. Changing cameras means that your photographs will change. A really good camera has something I suppose you might describe as its own distinctive aura."
-- Nobuyoshi Araki
NO PRESENTABLE IMAGE FOUND (Hey, this is a family-friendly site)
While I feel very much like Mr. Araki about cameras, we don't share much photographically.  Maybe that's why he's famous and I'm not.  I am not from a sheltered background, but his pictures are, wow, pretty dark. If that intrigues you, do a google image search.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"But slowly I began to use cameras and then think about what it was that was going on. It took me a long time, I mean I actually played with cameras and photography for about 20 years."
-- David Hockney
David Hockney
Image Source: 
http://www.dailyartfixx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mother-I-David-Hockney-1985.jpg

I like the long-term, contemplative thought here.  Maybe that's because I've had cameras on the brain for a very long time, as well.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
"And I'm sure after Facebook it will be the little cameras that we have implanted into the palms of our hands and we'll be debating whether we should get them, and then we'll all get them."

Jesse Eisenberg

Well, this one I just found interesting.  
_____________________________________________________________________________________

So, what does all of this mean, if anything?  I take from the first three quotes this idea - even great photographers vary widely in their thoughts on camera equipment and how it relates to making great photographs.

I also think that my ability to identify with Araki says that focusing on one camera system, Lumix, for the time being, is not without stress for me.  I am sure this will show up throughout the year, as I continue.  It's not any particular weakness in the system (though there are a few); it's more that I am used to picking up different cameras based on my mood, and using them.  I will still do that from time-to-time, but so far, I've been using Lumix unless I have a real technical need to use something else.  

I enjoy variety in camera gear.  There is no perfect kit for me.  Even if there were, I'd want to pick up an imperfect camera every once in a while.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

To find that imperfect camera for yourself, please support this blog and buy from Amazon through this link:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment