Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Presentation on Contemplative Photography


On Monday, February 20, I gave a presentation to the Reston Photographic Society (RPS) in Reston, Virginia, about an interesting photography book and process. The book is entitled Contemplative Photography, Seeing the World With Fresh Eyes, by Andy Karr and Michael Wood.

Click below to see the book on Amazon:


Contemplative Photography - Texture, by Reed A. George
Texture, By Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, Pana-Leica 45mm Macro-Elmarit f2.8
iso400, f2.8, 1/13 sec
 
The contemplative photography approach is very different than conventional photography. Instead of focusing on subject matter, contemplative photography emphasizes the process. Instead of trying to make pretty or otherwise pleasing pictures, it aims to allow the photographer to share their vision and feelings at the time the image is captured. The book breaks the image making process into three steps:
 
1) "Flash of Perception"
2) "Visual Discernment"
3) "Forming the Equivalent"
 
There are several challenging exercises in the book. I worked through all of them, and assembled some of my results into my presentation for the group.
 
(Click Here) to link to my presentation (in pdf format).
 
I found the book to be very interesting, and the exercises to be both unconventional and difficult. However, I do feel that the process helped me to further develop as a photographer. I also now use some of the exercises to help get me into the picture taking groove when I go to a new location.
 
Give the book a try. You may just find some new ways to look at your photography.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment