Wednesday, February 1, 2012

ePHOTOzine Review of the DMC-GX1

I don't write general reviews of cameras and lenses, but I read them.  I thought I'd share this one.
 
As I've mentioned before, I currently don't see a place in my bag for the DMC-GX1, perhaps mostly because I have standardized on two DMC-G3s.  I also still have a DMC-GF1, in case I want to shoot that form factor.  However, that's just a matter of preference, as the imaging components are shared between the G3 and GX1.    I could have chosen two DMC-GX1s, or a mix of the two.
Lumix DMC-GX1 and 14-45mm X Lens
DMC-GX1 with 14-42 X f3.5-5.6 lens
Image source:  shop.panasonic.com
 
I also have not seen anything about the new X lenses that particularly floats my boat.  
 
Here is a review of the pair from ePHOTOzine:
 
Source:  http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx1-camera-review-18282?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ephotozine+%28ePHOTOzine%29
 
I always read these reviews casually, and take them with a grain of salt.  However, every time I read another review about this camera, I worry that it will change my mind about needing a GX1.  This one certainly did not do that.  
 
ePHOTOZine's review didn't tell me much new about the GX1.  Perhaps the important parts for me were the findings on the 14-45 X lens.  They mention that it is less sharp than the non-X version, and report some vignetting.  The review author's opinion is that these downfalls are fair tradeoff for the smaller, more automated lens.  I disagree.  For me, image quality matters most, especially when the competition (the non-X lens) is already quite small and light.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment