Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 - I'm Interested

The Lumix DMC-TS3 is an attractive little camera to me.  I do a lot of outdoor activities, and travel at every opportunity.  I often go fossil hunting, nearly always near or in water.  Therefore, a small camera that is waterproof, shockproof, and has GPS is interesting to me.

DMC-TS3 Comes in Four Colors
Panasonic DMC-TS3
Image Source:  http://mycdn.mypcnote.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-TS31.jpg

As usual, I will leave the specifications up to the manufacturer (click here), and the myriad sites that restate them.  The only relevant drawback in specs for me is the inability to shoot raw format.  I also wonder about any maintenance requirements for the seals, to preserve the waterproof integrity.  I have seen it mentioned that you should clean them carefully, and perhaps put on a thin coat of silicone lubrication.

I usually do read reviews, and pay close attention to images that I can find on flickr, taken with the camera I am considering.  In this case, the images look pretty darned good.

I found this post on dpreview.com, where the poster is asking for any negative feedback on the camera, and really gets only positive responses


As my funds recover from the holidays, I very well may be in the market for one of these.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my DMC-LX5 in an aftermarket waterproof case.  I'll write more about that in a future post.  This setupworks well, but is a little more clumsy, and does not have GPS.  

DMC-365.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. I picked up a blue one of these last year to replace an old Pentax Optio WP that had started misbehaving.
    Not had any trouble with it yet, love the way it starts quickly and is responsive. I follow Panasonic's advice after it's been in saltwater - soak it for 10 mins in tapwater then dry it - easy enough to do.
    Can't do without a camera this waterproof, as we live by the seaside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a very useful response! Real experience speaks so loudly.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Reed,

    I don't have the Panasonic but do have an older Olympus. As mentioned in the comment above, you just need to rinse it well after any exposure to salt water. I usually run mine under the faucet for a few minutes while turning the camera off and on to open to protective lens cover. I've had mine for maybe 3 years or so now? No problems and it's been in the salt water a lot.

    The only thing I don't like about my Oly is the image qaulity. Looks like the newer cameras are much better in that regard. As soon as my Oly dies, I will also jump on a waterproof Panasonic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the added info, Jim. It is good to hear long term reliability. I am sure the designs are not too different.

    I am also sure image quality has improved significantly.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete