Monday, January 16, 2012

I May Have to Look at a Wider Angle Micro 4/3 Lens

I am naturally a telephoto shooter, though I have tried hard over the past few years to learn wide angle technique, with at least some success.  My widest lens on Micro 4/3 is the 14mm f2.5 Lumix, which is a great lens.  But, images like these make me think I should try a wider lens.

This was posted on mu-43user.com by Paulo Moreira:
Beautiful Wide Image by Paulo Moreira
Source: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4094/4910746436_cdcc907640_z.jpg

Now, to be certain, I don't know what focal length it was shot at.  I suppose it could be the "long" end of the 7-14mm zoom, which is the same as my lens.  But, somehow I think this was shot wider, maybe 7mm?

With the Panasonic 7-14mm lens costing nearly $1,000, maybe I'd better make sure?  :)

Or maybe a trip to Europe would be better for getting me closer to shots like this?

Either way, I am inspired by this image.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Reed - I have no experience with a super-wide on m4/3, but did have a Sigma 10-20mm (15-30mm equivalent for my Pentax dSLR). I used it quite a bit at first, but then the novelty wore off and I sold it. Have you experimented with super-wides on other cameras?

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    Yes, I have the 12mm Voigtlander, which I must admit I have very rarely used. In fact, it rarely makes it into my camera bag. You bring up a very good point.

    I'm wondering if the new WA attachment that Panasonic is making for my 14mm f2.5 may be the right answer. It will be very small. Price will be a deciding factor for me.

    Regards,
    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using the Olympus 9-18mm on my G1, GF1, and E-p1 for almost a year and it is almost my standard lens. I love it. Now I have recently bought the Samyang 7.5 fisheye and love that. Yes it does take a bit of a thought and practice to get good WA results but the impact from such images is fantastic. I try not to use telephoto because IMO it lacks any intimacy in the photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rob, for the input. I do have a goal of increased intimacy inmy images. Maybe WA is a key? I will try.

    Care to share a link where we can see your images? Would love to see them.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete